Saturday, December 7, 2013

Christmas DIY: Activity Advent Calendar


This time of the year is definitely my favorite... and the year long wait it takes to get here is so worth it! Starting in November I plan and gather ideas for December. From daily bible verses and 25-Books-in-December [stay tuned!], to a handmade Activity Advent Calendar like this one.

I chose daily "Activities" rather than a candy or gift calendar. It's much more suited for our fun and active family. Brainstorm ideas that your family likes to do during the season. But don't ever set anything in stone, so it's easy to make changes to scheduling when need be. See how I incorporated my ideas into my Filofax 2013 Holiday Planner. This is the second year doing our Activity Advent Calendar, and it's so much fun! I included a lot of stuff from last year.. and added some new things too!

>> MAKE YOUR CALENDAR <<

I cannot give you a step-by-step of this project, since I made it last year before I started blogging. I do have a few photos that I captured on IG which I'll share with you. They aren't the best quality but they give you a good idea of how this project came together. I'm also including lots of updated images from this year's calendar.

GATHER SUPPLIES


This calendar was made using scraps and leftover bits and pieces from my 2012 Studio Calico December Daily Kit. Along with pretty holiday paper, I also used designs from my year-round collections. I repurposed two sheets of thick 12" x 12" chipboard, pieces of packaging that I saved from paper stacks I bought at Tuesday Morning. They're extremely sturdy and make the perfect "backing" for my calendar. I spritzed them with some of my pink glimmer mist to give it a subtle pop of color.

Using a homemade template with some pretty patterned paper, I created pockets that will hold tags and cards with our daily activities and scriptures. For each pocket, I added a pink number printable [download the set here] which I cut up and modified for this project.

PUT IT TOGETHER


I used some wide pink ribbon to connect the two boards together, punched holes at the top and bottom to attach a ribbon for hanging and a 6" x 4" pocket for Day 25. Each 12" x 12" board holds twelve 3" x 4" pockets perfectly.

HANG IT!


It looks beautiful hanging on the wall with a set of handmade t-shirt pompoms and a big pink bow using the same ribbon from the project.

FILL IT UP


I wrote 25 different activities onto a set of Outnumbered Journaling Cards. They're the perfect size for my pockets. Here is a list of some of the things we're doing this year:

...Read a book, write a letter to grandma, dance to Christmas music, take a photo with Santa, play a game, go on a nature walk, photograph the outdoors, drink hot cocoa together, create something: arts & crafts, buy a present for a loved one, watch holiday movies, build a gingerbread house, do something with Daddy [his choice], make pretty things, write to Santa, bake cookies with Mommy, look at Christmas lights, do something nice [a random act of kindness]....


I attached easy-access washi tape tabs and gold twine to the tags so my little one doesn't have trouble pulling them out. I figure this way, the pockets will last longer so we can enjoy our calendar for many years to come...

Any other ideas? Choose your family's traditions. Things you love to do during this special time of the year. Be creative and have fun with it!


We also read a bible verse together each day in December. I found a list here. When I came across these journaling spots, I knew they would be perfect for this part of the project. The "Story From December" being a bible verse is very fitting. It's nice to remember the true meaning for the season.

ENJOY!


That's all for today! I hope you enjoyed my crafty Christmas post and leave here feeling inspired to create something beautiful this holiday season! I have other fun projects to share with you this month like a customized Christmas Card Holder, and another daily tradition we call 25-Books-in-December. I'm also documenting the month with a December Daily album, so check back often to read about our holiday adventures!

You can find more free DD inspired printables and ideas on my "December Daily" pinboard on Pinterest. I have lots of freebies and inspiration on my "SMASH & PL" and "Printables/Templates" boards too! See how I stay organized through the "Holidaze" with my Filofax planners.

Stay updated on my recent posts, projects, and photos by following me on instagram, or by "liking" my fan page on Facebook. So why not head over there now and show some love...

Do we share this Christmas tradition? What's your favorite thing about advent calendars? Any thoughts, questions, or comments about this post? I'd love to hear it! Your feedback is always welcome and much appreciated!

Thanks for stopping by! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover